LabStats only tracks the websites and applications that are useful to you. To view the applications that are being tracked, or to track new ones, navigate to the Application Manager (under Applications, click Manager).
From there you can check or uncheck the Tracked status of any application. LabStats is pre-populated with over 200 of the most commonly tracked applications already selected, and you can use the search field to make sure all of the correct applications are being tracked. If you don’t see an application right away, there are two methods to add it. First, check the Software Inventory. If it isn’t there, you can manually add it to the list.
LabStats Has a Pre-Generated List of Over 200 Applications
LabStats has a pre-generated list of over 200 applications that colleges and universities around the world offer to students. View the list.
Check the Software Inventory
If an application isn’t in the standard Application Manager list because it isn’t part of our pre-populated catalog, it is nearly always picked up by the Software Inventory process.
- Navigate to the Applications Manager.
- Click on the Show Software Inventory button.
- This will show all applications detected running on your client stations.
- Search this list for any applications that you want to track and toggle the Tracked option.
Data on your application will now be tracked. Your clients will be updated with the new instructions, but you may not see usage data until the following day. Most clients receive the updated tracking data within 24 hours, though clients that do not regularly check in may take longer.
Related: How to Check Software Inventory
Add a New Desktop or Web Application to Track
If an application has not been picked up by the Software Inventory, you may need to add it manually. This is also how you would add a specific web application.
- Navigate to Applications Manager.
- Then click Define Desktop App or Define a Web App.
- Fill out the form to manually add an application.
- Name—The name of the application.
- Vendor—Vendor that provided the application (if applicable).
- Description—A brief description of the application.
- Tracked—Check the box to track the application.
- Tags—Tags that apply to the application.
- Pattern Types—Choose to identify the application name by Wildcard (*) or RegEx (Regular Expression).
- Executables (Desktop apps only—The name of the executable file without the file type extension (Task Manager and Activity Monitor can help).
- URL Patterns (Web apps only)—The URL path of the application (i.e. https://labstats.com).
- To edit the information: Click on the name of the application to open the Application Info page.
- If creating or editing a desktop application results in a “Patterns cannot be duplicated” error message, it means that the tracking pattern is already present in your Application Manager. You’ll need to find the existing listing for it and enable that for tracking.
Don’t forget to allow a few days for all stations to have a chance to check in and receive the new application tracking rules.
Related: Setup: Tracking Applications
Have questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.