Machines can automatically be assigned to groups on an individual basis either through the use of Hostname Definitions or in bulk using a Group Hierarchy Import. You can also use Active Directory to automatically create group structures and assign stations to those groups. To learn more about Active Directory sync, click here.
Hostname Definitions allow you to specify hostname patterns that you want to be assigned to a particular group.
- Navigate to Stations, then click Groups.
- Select a group, Click Group Details (top-right corner).
- Click Manage Hostname Definitions.
- Click Add New Group Definition to create a definition.
- Set the Match Rule to the pattern that the hostnames should match (such as Lab_A with ‘.*’ as a regular expression). With this Regular Expression pattern, all stations with “Lab_A” at the beginning of their hostname will be moved to the corresponding group automatically.
- Click Submit to save and apply the changes.
Note: Be sure to include the period before the asterisk in order to implement a wildcard. Omitting the period will result in unexpected behavior.
Hostname Definitions only apply to new stations upon check-in and to stations in the unassigned group. If a station already exists and is assigned to another group (other than unassigned), it will not be moved by the updated Hostname Definition. It must be moved manually.
Group Hierarchy Import
You can assign Hostname Definitions to multiple groups at once by importing a spreadsheet. In addition to that, the Group Hierarchy Import can create group structures for you based on your spreadsheet upload. You also have the option to remove all groups and recreate them according to the spreadsheet.
- Navigate to Stations, then click Station Manager.
- Click Import Group Hierarchy and Hostname Definitions (bottom-left corner).
- Build your spreadsheet according to these specifications:
- Data must be entered in the first worksheet.
- There should not be a header row, so the first row should be utilized.
- The Hostname Definition needs to be in column A. Please note that you do not necessarily have to have a Hostname Definition in every row. If a Hostname Definition is not required for a group, that is fine.
- The Group Hierarchy structure should start in column B with the root group and all child groups in descending order to the right, one per column. The final group in the row needs to be the group that the Hostname Definition applies to.
- The Group Hierarchy Import uses Regular Expressions rather than a standard * wildcard, so make sure your definition is specific enough for only the stations you want to assign to that group. Something to be mindful of with Hostname Definitions is that LabStats will not look to find the “best match,” it will instead use the first match and then assign stations accordingly. For example, if you have “Lab_A.*” as a hostname definition for one group, but then a later group has “Lab_Art.*” as a hostname definition, all of your matching stations will be moved to the group using “Lab_A.*”.
- Check the Remove Existing Groups box if you want to remove and recreate all groups.
- Click Choose File to import your spreadsheet.
- Click Upload.